libreplanet-us-ma

Re: [LibrePlanet-US-MA] Free software advocacy? How about some devil's a

From: aurelien
Subject: Re: [LibrePlanet-US-MA] Free software advocacy? How about some devil's advocacy?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:24:09 +0200

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 08:20 -0700, John Sullivan wrote:
> R Mullen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Let me finish up with a question: How do you all continue to turn your
> > gaze outward with optimism, rather than falling back to a community in
> > which you can expect and receive support? Is what we need really
> > another small and loosely-joined group with intent to bring about
> > change? It's so easy to talk, but it's a lot harder to find a willing
> > audience. Not everyone is a programmer who can share your frustration.
> >
> > Anyway, now that I've revealed my pessimism, I do sincerely hope that
> > the free software ideal is propagated. Everyone would be the better
> > for it. I'll be happy to help out where possible.
>
> My three cents:
>
> 1. As much as our mothers/fathers like to tell us we are, we are not
> unique. There are other people like you (and me) out there who will
> start caring about the ethics of software when prompted to think about
> it. We need to reach them.

No one is unique, and we are all quite different. Maybe we can ask that as ::
No one know's where we are in the universe. So who can told me where I have to
go ?

But we can be sure that freedom is one of the key of evolution, like
fight.

> 2. I do a little thought experiment -- think back to 10 years ago (or
> even 5). Free software is way more popular and known now than it was
> then. This reminds me that great changes are possible over time, but
> that sometimes progress doesn't feel like progress when I'm in the thick
> of it.

Free software can't be considerate only as a more popular way, but a
Free way as we need to access a part of Freedom.
How Education considerate as a key of the evolution can be based on
proprietary software ? (This is the situation where we are here in
Corsica, I hope it's not the same where you are.)

This situation make me think exactly :: "Comment une Société sans
morale, ni éthique, peut se prévaloir de vouloir les enseigner"

> 3. Remember that people fight for other people's rights all the time.
> They might not care about their own ability to view source code or
> modify programs, but it is not so hard for them to understand how they
> benefit from a world in which people who do like to do those things have
> the freedom to do them, just like they benefit from a world in which the
> press can operate freely regardless of whether they own their own TV
> station. And they can also appreciate the general idea that people
> should have the freedom to share useful things with each other.

Freedom is just ::
Freedom, Equality, Fraternity or the Death (Jacobins 1789)
Exactly :: "Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité ou la Mort!" (Jacobins 1789)
But, that is the reason I wake up every morning.
Free Software, is a key to get and keep knowledge Free and accessible
for every one.

Ok so this is suggestions of actions, movement, evolution ...

1. School Freedom Action !
Show and inform directly in all sort of school that Freedom exist, that
Freedom is the key of future of every child in this world and that the
one which is against Freedom is against evolution.

2. Free the Libre-Kernel Action !
I've launch a group :: http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Libre_Kernel_Group
The goal is to keep an easy and always accessible for everyone how to
compile your own libre-kernel.
At this time the last one compile correctly to create .deb from fsfla
source are 2.6.33.1 you can find the source at http://www.fscorsica.org
(fsfla.org launch the 2.6.34 the 18 may ... but ... it don't want to fit
correctly)

Well mates you are considerate as the world genius in most of Sciences
ways, i am just a Freedom addict ...

Aurélien DESBRIÈRES
Libreplanet.org | Free Software Foundation Associated Member
http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/User:Aurelien
Freedom is not just a word, it's a duty.