libreplanet-discuss

Re: Linked in Alternative - free / privacy respecting

From: Lori Nagel
Subject: Re: Linked in Alternative - free / privacy respecting
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 15:29:08 +0000 (UTC)

   I have been thinking about this myself a lot as well.  Whatever is
   made, it needs to be something developers would actually use.  There
   are lots of times where people make what seems to be great sites, but
   no one ever uses them.  Free Software project teams need three things.
   1. Vision, a coherent vision of what the project is supposed to be
   about, the problem or issue or desire the project is supposed to
   address, the types of users it is supposed to serve.
   Sometimes this can be stated simply as "roughly a clone of some
   proprietary program", but for new innovative ideas that doesn't really
   work.
   2. Passion.  developers must have passion about the project, even if
   they aren't devoting a lot of time to it, they must at least think it
   is worthwhile enough to spend their most precious commodity upon,
   that is their time, sometimes this is because the project scratches a
   developers own itch, or someone the developer personally knows.
   3. Skills.  If it was just passion and vision things would be easier.
   However there are sometimes groups of people with a lot of passion and
   vision, but not enough skills to pull it off.  Eventually, all the
   passion and vision just seems to dissipate if needed skills cannot be
   applied to the creation of or improvement of the project.

   On Friday, May 15, 2020, 10:30:05 AM EDT, Paul Sutton