libreplanet-discuss

Re: Buying cryptocurrency for fiat while avoiding nonfree software (was:

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: Buying cryptocurrency for fiat while avoiding nonfree software (was: VPS providers with libre or no JS)
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 01:03:49 +0300

Roberto Beltran <robertobeltran@protonmail.com> wrote:
>>> Just gotta figure out how to get enough crypto without being able to meet
>>> up with anyone
>>
>> Should not it be the other way round?
>>
>> I mean, does not buying BTC by meeting anyone in person become an option
>> only up from some amount (e. g., in St. Petersburg: about 100 krub ≈ 1250
>> euros), and in general is cumbersome and impractical (unless you need extra
>> protection from tracking, of course), while buying online is easy, available
>> instantly and from nearly any sensible amount?
>>

> Oh, I meant like without proprietary JS. If you have any recommendations for
> that it would definitely help out.

To suggest anything useful about currency exchange to you personally, one have
to know where you are from and what means of payment (besides cash) you have at
disposal or consider acceptable.

For instance, “Perfect Money”¹ — a popular in cryptoexchange as an intermediate
step parabank, which, among others, accepts deposits via wire transfer², is a
service of the first type in my ad-hoc classification: i. e. their website is
somewhat usable without nonfree software for legacy reasons.

But, as I heard, banks of some countries are not happy to work with them (this
info may be outdated, though).

-
¹ Yet another referral link: https://perfectmoney.com/signup.html?ref=2815928
² Wire transfer is slow, of course, and requires passing through cumbersome
(though EU residents might consider it normal) deanonymization process.

> I've only ever bought crypto in person for cash.
> So far I've only seen proprietary apps, the ATMs
> that require a cellphone

Whatʼs wrong with a phone?  Afaik, SMS is perfectly usable with free programs.

(By the way, does it mean that you had managed to exchange currency in person
without giving the seller your phone?  Not to say thatʼs something unlikely,
just curious.)

> and websites with proprietary JavaScript

Look whether these exchangers have a Telegram bot besides a website.  (The
Telegram network is proprietary, but even their official client is free.)
Quite a few do.