libreplanet-discuss

Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The most appreciable URL Shortener?...

From: Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The most appreciable URL Shortener?...
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 09:07:58 -0300

On Fri, Jun 07, 2019 at 03:14:09PM -0400, Don Saklad wrote:
> What do folks around here consider to be
> the most appreciable URL Shortener?...

None! Why would you even consider using one for? If it's not for print
and memorable, I see no use for one at all. And if you are really going
to print it and want it to be memorable, it should rather be one under
your control, so let's hope you already picked a memorable domain, now
let's put your software freedom to use and make your CMS allow you to
create a memorable URL.

Sorry, but "Twitter restricts me to 140 characters" doesn't cut it. Just
put markup language to use and <a
href="https://domain.com/my-url-could-be-as-long-as-I-like";>click
here</a>.

The only good excuse I ever had for a URL shortener is a choice of
technology combination or misuse, like one is browsing on a desktop and
want to send a message using a mobile containing something they just
browsed. There should not be any restrictions on using the desktop
itself to share that URL with someone, or even yourself on your mobile.
There is where I find the problem.

Please, please, give me a very good reason to use a URL shortener at
all. I am very likely missing something.

Cascardo.