libreplanet-ca-on

[lp-ca-on] CRA opening up electronic trust returns

From: Greg Knittl
Subject: [lp-ca-on] CRA opening up electronic trust returns
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 18:30:17 -0400

Hi All,

I haven't been able to make any progress on an income tax program for Linux. Meanwhile the CRA has introduced electronic filing for a subset of trust returns starting with the 2017 tax year. This is a totally open solution with - publicly available xml layouts https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/filing-information-returns-electronically-t4-t5-other-types-returns-overview/t619/t3ret.html - publicly available xml validation schemas https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/filing-information-returns-electronically-t4-t5-other-types-returns-overview/filing-information-returns-electronically-t4-t5-other-types-returns-file.html
. electronic submission through one of the existing CRA systems.

Offhand that looks to me like a suitable solution for T1 personal returns. Conceptually, I don't see any big difference between the supported T3 return and a T1 personal return. I'm not sure why the CRA
can't make this type of infrastructure available for T1 returns...

I actually have a Trust return that qualifies for the electronic filing.
I think the biggest hurdle for me would be to get the xml schema validation working. Any xml experts out there?

Have a great Labour Day weekend!
Greg