libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] licenses

From: Bob Jonkman
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] licenses
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 15:38:41 -0400

Daniel Villarreal quoted:

> `"Moral Rights Clause Waiver" means a waiver of the right to
> enforce, and an agreement not to assert, Section 4d of CC-BY-SA
> against the Fedora Community, to the fullest extent permitted by
> applicable law.'

I had always thought that moral rights could not be waived in Canada,
but that was apparently changed in 1985[1].

Certainly, I'd object to any requirement to waive moral rights, and
even to assign copyright. I've crossed out those clauses and
renegotiated contracts to ensure I retain copyright on any code I
create while doing SysAdmin work, because I want to reuse any tools I
create in future work.

My favourite example that illustrates moral rights: In the Toronto
Eatons Centre there's a sculpture suspended from the ceiling depicting
flying geese coming in for a landing. During one Christmas season in
the early 1980's the Eatons Centre decorated the geese in the
sculpture. I'd heard that they hitched a sleigh to the geese and put a
red nose on the front goose, but Wikipedia tells me it was only
ribbons on their necks[2]. At any rate, the artist sued saying it
damaged the integrity of the work and distorted the intent. He won,
setting a precedent for the affirmation of an artist's moral rights
(which was later watered down by that legislation from 1985).

- --Bob, who is not a lawyer.

[1] http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-42/page-4.html#h-8

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_v_Eaton_Centre_Ltd

- --