libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Giving Guide Giveaway

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Giving Guide Giveaway
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 17:31:33 -0500

On 20/11/14 05:00 PM, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 18 2014, Lukas Berk wrote:
>
>> Sergio Durigan Junior <address@hidden> writes:
>> [...]
>>>   <https://fsf.org/givingguide/giving-guide-giveaway-primer>
>>> Care to help?  Any ideas of how we could do this in Toronto?
>>
>> While I'm not one who likes personally wishes to hand out flyers, I
>> imagine Dundas square being a prime location for something like this.
>
> Thanks, man.  I was thinking about Dundas Square too, I guess that's the
> best place.

Dundas Square has some advantages and disadvantages.

It's one of the busiest intersections in the city for sure, but *lots* of people
hand stuff out (from activist groups to megaphone street preachers to corporate
promotions), so many people get a bit resistant to it... sometimes, it feels
like you could be handing out $100 bills and people would still refuse.

BUT... since the giving guide does have a focus on shopping, the Eaton Centre,
which is at Yonge/Dundas, wouldn't be a bad target as (one of?) the biggest
mall(s).

Yorkdale would be the other big mall, and there's an Apple store, a Microsoft
store, and probably several other tech stores there (e.g. I'm sure there are
Robelus stores... I remember at least TELUS, maybe Rogers... kiosks for Fido,
Koodo...).

Is this something that we could easily do to hand out flyers from inside a mall,
or would it be better to stay on public sidewalks where we don't have to worry
about getting kicked off private property? Eaton Centre wins over Yorkdale in
terms of having public sidewalks right outside, whereas people don't really walk
into Yorkdale.

The other option would be to just target particular stores, like a popular Best
Buy or Future Shop? Though, I feel like it's a bit late for people who are about
to walk into a store and about to buy something... unless we're aware of more
freedom friendly options that are inside that same store towards which we could
redirect people?

(I'm skeptical of that, and my general feeling inside a Best Buy is usually:
https://xkcd.com/272/ )

*shrugs*