libredwg

Re: [libredwg] GSoC: Setting stone rolling

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
Subject: Re: [libredwg] GSoC: Setting stone rolling
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 17:24:02 -0300

That's right!

This is the "community bonding" phase.

You are not expected do start coding your project proposals right now,
but you can if you are comfortable with that.

Indeed, after this period, which ends by June 16th, you are expected
to be fully "fluent" with LibreDWG code, at least for what regards
your project, and integrated within the community.

You should also make sure you are familiar with git. Please let me
know how deep is your understanding of the git branching workflow. If
you guys are not familiar with "working on a remote branch with
feature branches" you should practice that and be fairly fluent by
June 16th, when we should give you push access.

Please make an effort to send at least 2 patches (they can be simple
bug fixes, no need to relate to your projects) which is the "rule" for
getting push access here.

Our last GSoC student had full access to the repo and committed
directly into master. I don't think this is the best approach now. You
should commit to separate remote branches (i suggest gsoc13-api and
gsoc13-refactor), and we'll merge them into master when convenient.

There are two reasons for that: first, with the licensing issues
fading out (QCAD 3.1 has just been released as GPLv3) we should not
"spoil" (please don't take me wrong) the main source tree with
new/experimental code. This is because I think we (community) must
focus towards a beta release at this moment. If your code, or at least
part of it, is mature enough at the time of the release (sometime
between now and the end of the northern summer), we'll get it in
anyway.

Second, in order to contribute code to the official release you need
to sign some papers transfering the copyright of everything you write
to the Free Software Foundation. This is a decision that we made when
LibreDWG joined the GNU Project.

Appart from that, happy hacking!

--
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva