libredwg

Re: [libredwg] contributions v1.2 available

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
Subject: Re: [libredwg] contributions v1.2 available
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:03:46 -0300

Thanks for your job. I think we can give you write access if nobody
objects it. Just do any dirty stuff in a branch =D

>  v2 -- add "configure --enable-tracing"

Check the src/logging.h. This simple logging framework allows
different loglevels for different files. I was thinking about
--enable-tracing or --enable-log --loglevel=x (#defines inside the
files would override the default to allow fine log tuning -- maybe
this fine tuning will not useful at all)

>  - What are the version numbering schemes for LibreDWG?
>   - repository tags
>   - project version
>   - shared-object library version

There's no clear policy yet. The only thing we know is that the first
release will be 0.4 (in homage to libdwg which died after 0.3). But
there is a rough roadmap somewhere in the wiki. 1.0 means: "stable" +
R13-R2007 read support + C (at least) API. 2.0 means stable write
support (if we ever get there). I think we are taking too long to
release. Maybe we should set some milestones or blocker bugs to
release at least a beta. There is many people interested in LibreDWG,
but not having a release makes it seem untrustworthy.

>  - Should "configure --enable-tracing" be yes or no by default?
No. A library should not output any text by default.

>  - What is the criteria for declaring a stable API (for bindings)?

Good question. But something like: we are able to write a dwg2foo
converter (or maybe an importing module for a software like grass -
I'm doing that) without having to access the dwg struct directly -
things like dwg->tio.object->tio.BLK_HDR->inserts->tio.object->tio.INSERT->....

>  - What is the documentation strategy (doxygen, hand-write, ...)?

When we joined the GNU project we told the evaluators that we would
think about docs before releasing a stable version. Maybe we should
start thinking about this. The default documentation format for the
GNU project is TeXinfo IIRC. Can doxygen generate TeXinfo files?

BTW, why all those distcheck installcheck (make dist seems ok)?
--
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
PoliGNU - Grupo de Estudos de Software Livre da Poli/USP