libredwg

[libredwg] [Fwd: [gnu.org #539362] GNU LibreDWG licensing question]

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
Subject: [libredwg] [Fwd: [gnu.org #539362] GNU LibreDWG licensing question]
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:01:06 -0200

FYI...

---

Rodrigo,

Thank you for your contributions to free software! Your analysis of the
compatibility of GPLv2+ and GPLv3[+] is correct. The copyright holders
of the GPLv2+ code have allowed you to release that code, or any
derivative of that code, under the GPLv3 license or later. This link may
help: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility

You do not change the headers. You cannot do that unless you are the
copyright holder(s); that would be equivalent to re-licensing, which you
cannot do unless you hold the copyright. The combined work must be
accompanied by the GPLv3 information as required by the license. However
a recipient needs to be able to recognize that part of the work is
available under the GPLv2, and can be used under that license if
appropriate, because that's what the author(s) of that work intended.

I hope that answers your question. Again, thanks for creating libreDWG!

> ---
> > From the previous talks I can assume that yes, it is legal to link the
> code, and the resulting object code must be distributed under the
> GPLv3 (please correct me if I'm wrong). The remaining question is:
> > *Do I have to relicense every GPLv2+ source code files under GPLv3,
> changing their headers?*

-- Thank you for your interest in free software! I am not a lawyer and the above is not legal advice. The opinions expressed above do not constitute an official position of the Free Software Foundation. Luigi Bai FSF Associate Member Volunteer, address@hidden