libextractor

Re: [libextractor] Hachoir project and some comments about libextractor

From: Victor Stinner
Subject: Re: [libextractor] Hachoir project and some comments about libextractor
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 00:35:23 +0200

Hi,

Le samedi 2 septembre 2006 23:09, vous avez écrit :
> First of all, sorry for the very late reply, but I've been incredibly busy.

No problem, I'm happy to get an answer :-) My email was not so good. I thi

> For LE, we would certainly want to extract more metadata if possible, so
> having another project that shows systematically how to get to it is great
> -- I'll look forward to studying your parsers to improve ours.

Don't hesitate to ask me questions if our syntax is strange for you.

> As for performance, (...)
> So if you want to compare performance, one good thing to do is take
> various files (different formats and sizes) and repeatedly extract the
> metadata in-process (without printing).

Good idea.

> I also have one question for you: why did you start Hachoir?  I mean, which
> goals of your project could not have been done within the context of GNU
> libextractor?

Hachoir goal is not to extract meta-datas. It's just one possible use of the
library. Main idea is to parse binary file into nice human reprensentation
(build a tree of field where each field is a Python object). Because I wrote
many parser to help Hachoir development, I just see that it would be cool to
extract meta-datas. And after that, a friend told me that libextractor
exists. That's why I'm writting to you :-)

Haypo