libextractor

[libextractor] libextractor-0.5.0 problems

From: Mike Castle
Subject: [libextractor] libextractor-0.5.0 problems
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:22:22 -0700

libextractor-0.5.0 has problems when srcdir != builddir, which is supposed
to be supported configuration for GNU programs, and even mentioned in
libextractor's INSTALL file.

You can see this problem by doing something like:

tar xzf libextractor-0.5.0.tar.gz
mkdir build
cd build
../libextractor-0.5.0/configure
make
# become root somehow
make install

I've seen two problems so far.  Well, one problem, with two failure modes.

First, this bit in src/main/Makefile.am:

install-exec-local:
        python libextractor_python_setup.py $(libdir) build
        python libextractor_python_setup.py $(libdir) install
--prefix=$(PYTHON_PREFIX)

It turns out that libextractor_python_setup.py is not in the current
directory.  The proper approach is to do this:

        python $(srcdir)/libextractor_python_setup.py $(libdir) build

Unfortunately this seems to have problem, which I'll try to figure out
later.

The second problem is that you're running this stuff during the install
phase in the first place!

It's a command paradigm to build as a normal user and install as root.
There should be no compilation going on during this phase.  So this stuff
needs to be moved around.  Actually, I think the recommend automake way is
to do the compilation yourself.  So I'd recommend either seperating out the
python stuff to it's own package, and use the standard python installation
process there, or use the automake recommendations within the package.  But
don't use the current hybrid approach.

Cheers,
mrc