Re: Liberty-eiffel Digest, Vol 52, Issue 1

From: Paolo Redaelli
Subject: Re: Liberty-eiffel Digest, Vol 52, Issue 1
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 16:11:13 +0100

Il 06/01/22 13:33, Raphael Mack ha scritto:
Am Donnerstag, dem 06.01.2022 um 09:17 +0100 schrieb Hans Zwakenberg:
What's interesting is that all those are really compressible,
packed
into a tar.xz those 449mb shrink to a mere 2,9Mb. As far as I can
say
these static pages could be **temporarily** acceptable.
If these help files can be packed to less than 3 MB, wouldn't it be
enough to only distribute the packed help file together with a front
end that pulls the needed pages from the packed file on demand?
Is that worth the effort?
No, on-the-fly unpacking is not worth the effort, given how much space other languages devotes to docs.
- Did anyone of you look at offline
documentation in the last years?
Me :) but mainly using short
  I am not even sure whether the "docs"
package is helpful at all... What do you think?

Let's keep the doc package. Sometimes someone **will** be offline.

They seem to build without error. It's no harm to leave them the way they are.

On the other side having the docs on the server seems meaningful to me,
but also there a HTML redesign could be good - not only to reduce the
size...

What kind of redesign do you think about?

The main reason why the HTML pages are "beefy" is that they are "human-readable" even when reading the HTML source. As long as the webserver implements compression I think we may leave them the way they are.

We may want to provide a more modern/material/whatsoever styling, but I'm by far not a CSS artist...