Re: The Next Steps

From: Krishna
Subject: Re: The Next Steps
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 21:42:03 +0530

On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 at 13:47, Raphael Mack <ramack@raphael-mack.de> wrote:

> Am 11. Dezember 2021 17:01:51 MEZ schrieb Krishna <v.krishnakumar@gmail.com>:
> >
> >Sorry, what's ET? Quick search of the past mails in this list didn't turn
> >up anything.
>
> ET is a set of scripts to run the test suite on 'each' commit. The results
> are shown on et.liberty-eiffel.org

nice! - perhaps useful to disable -boost so that we can quickly
inspect tracebacks on failures?

what is the state of the SE GC? Is BDW required for a stable runtime?
If so would it make sense to bundle it with the sources as a 3rdparty
dependency?

> >If no one steps up, I'll take a crack at it. I'm more interested in
> >packaging for pkgsrc as I can then target 3 of my platforms.
>
> Pachaging is also a challenge. We have integrated Debian packaging in ET but
> it has the mentioned issues. For other platforms we can integrate it easily
> if we are able to build them on the Linux machine. - Someone started to work
> (or think) about crosscompiling for Windows but it never was properly setup.
> On the other side it might also be fine to package only releases manually or
> add a new VM with whaterver system - which would even allow to run the
> testsuite on another OS, if someone volunteers for administering it.

EPM[0] is a package manager wrapper that can generate packages for
multiple platforms (including debian) from a single description. I'll
give it a try next week.

[0] https://jimjag.github.io/epm/

--
The art of progress is to preserve order amid change
and to preserve change amid order.