install.sh failure on macOS

From: Krishna
Subject: install.sh failure on macOS
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 16:56:24 +0530

Greetings all,

Great to see activity on this list again! SE (through ELJ) was one of
my favourite projects from the early 2000s.

Tried installing the compiler on macOS and install.sh failed in
bootstrap(). Does install.sh assume a Linux-like environment? Anyway,
mindless patching took it further till `pretty' and then the compiler
crashed. Manually bootstrapped and got the binaries. Will find out
more about the crash and report. IIRC, the installer used to be an
eiffel program back then, which worked on Win32 too.

My immediate interest is in a port of the ixy userspace network
driver[0, 1] and see how it performs under SE/LE. Dialect
incompatibility and the lack of libraries are non-issues but reliable
code generation is essential.

While I'm not an Eiffel expert, I think I can help with bug fixes and
packaging (pkgsrc). What is the contribution model? Is it still a GNU
project requiring copyright assignment and paperwork etc? Is the
github fork actively synced? do you accept pull requests there?

Cheers,
  --krishna

[0] https://github.com/emmericp/ixy
[1] https://github.com/ixy-languages/ixy-languages
--
The art of progress is to preserve order amid change
and to preserve change amid order.