Re: Intro for newbie

From: Oleg Terentiev
Subject: Re: Intro for newbie
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 13:58:47 +0700

20.04.2020, 02:35, "Paolo Redaelli" <address@hidden>:
Hi! Sorry for the delays but I was busy before the CoVid19 lockdown and now I'm more busy!
Yes, CoVid19 is evil for all world.

I'm starting answering your last mail as it is the most important.

Can it builded for Raspberry Pi from souces?

Yes, but it requires quite a lot of memory. Most probably on the Pi2 you will require quite a substantial swap memory, bootstrapping could require 2Gb of memory if I recall correctly.

I can try cross-compile for Pi, but it will be much harder. May be in future.

Trying build Gobo Eiffel was not finished - it call kswapd (Pi usually has disabled swap for safe flash memory, because it has limited write resource, my Pi v1 only 256Mb) and then stoped building.
I started with SmartEiffel 2.1 precompiled distributive on Win. And I'm trying build it from sources on Pi (v2.3) - process fault with message
Received signal 11.
Eiffel program crash at run time.
No trace when using option "-boost"
There are builder's log and terminal out   https://yadi.sk/d/VQtdeIBkntMtQw
(Also, I tryied build liberty-eiffel - it is not successful too.)
I builded SmallEiffel 2.1 successfull: run "make interactive" and change optimization for '-boost' to -O1 (replace -O1).

Some years ago I built it on PowerPc; Liberty shall compile on any CPU on a POSIX system. The CPU is not a problem. The available virtual memory is. I've read the log most probably the machine didn't have enough addressable virtual memory. Try adding swap memory, totalling 4Gb of addressable memory.

Also, install "libgc-dev"  Boehm-Demers-Weiser's conservative garbage collector for C.

It is optional, but it is always better to use it. And in a low-memory situation like compiling on RaspBerry Pi it is most welcome.

About this one.
When bell started with 'make' I have message
Checking BDW GC
tee: /home/pi/bell-rc2/target/log/install-20200420-102139.log: No such file or directory
BDW too old or missing
tee: /home/pi/bell-rc2/target/log/install-20200420-102139.log: No such file or directory

Checking required programs.
                                 All programs present, proceeding.
I have found in 'install.sh' part of this checking, cut fragment with it without arround and buld 'check_libgc.
Macro GC_NOT_ALPHA - not defined!
I gues this part of script should be changed.
One more note from gc headers:
/* The policy regarding version numbers: development code has odd       */
/* "minor" number (and "micro" part is 0); when development is finished */
/* and a release is prepared, "minor" number is incremented (keeping    */
/* "micro" number still zero), whenever a defect is fixed a new release */
/* is prepared incrementing "micro" part to odd value (the most stable  */
/* release has the biggest "micro" number).                             */

May be just 'not zero' will be enought? Generally I have version 7.6.4
After change it for pass the check it can't build it still. See attached file for details.

--
b.r., Oleg Terentiev