[Liberty-eiffel] GSoC preparation

From: Raphael Mack
Subject: [Liberty-eiffel] GSoC preparation
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 21:51:20 +0200

Hello,

to all students who are interested in a GSoC project for LibertyEiffel:
Thanks for your proposals which are mostly on a good level.

As many of you don't come with much Eiffel experience it would be good
to get used to the language, so I suggest that you go through some of
the example programs in the tutorial. It might also be interesting to do
some small toy command line tool for example reading JSON encoded
weather data from http://openweathermap.org to use and potentially
improve the JSON library included in LibertyEiffel. Also do not hesitate
to ask questions! One intelligent question might prove more of your
understanding than 1000 lines of Eiffel code - and maybe some other
student might even answer it already...

Another idea to show that you have a working LibertyEiffel setup could
be to propose test cases... For example I have the feeling that the
features resize and sub_collection2 of class ARRAY2 are not extensively
tested, also the creation of empty ARRAY2 instances. You could ake a
look at the documentation of these features and some test cases (e.
g. /test/lib/storage/collection/test_array2_subclass.e ) to see how you
can use EIFFELTEST_TOOLS with label_assert and auxiliary classes
(AUX_...) beside the normal test (TEST_...)

Pull requests are welcome - even if it is just a correction of a wrong
comment - as they might help us to choose in case there are several
proposals on the same topic or we do not get sufficient slots assigned
by google / GNU.

Kind regards,
Rapha