Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Query for Proposal

From: Raphael Mack
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Query for Proposal
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 22:49:56 +0100

Am Freitag, den 18.03.2016, 05:27 +0530 schrieb Pabitra Lenka:
> Hi Developers ,
>                For the project : Make the LibertyEiffel compiler emit
> C11 compatible C code without warnings even on the higher warning
> levels of gcc,
>
> Which areas I should really focus on my draft proposal ?

For a proposal for this idea I think you should analyze the effort and
try to understand what kind of warnings and how many occur. Which
generated C code parts are not conform to C11? Finally you need to
understand what is necessary to do. (Find out by checking the C code of
1. a small eiffel example without GC, 2. add the two different GCs, 3.
add more and 4. more used features and active plugins. Check with high
warnings levels and find out what is missing to be C11 conform - with
this you get an overview of what kind of and how many changes on C code
level are necessary. Then you have to estimate how much effort it is for
you to adapt the compiler to emit the modified C code...

In the proposal I think you should give some numbers and some examples
of necessary changes to provide evidence, that 1. it is sufficient for a
GSoC project and 2. it is achievable with your knowledge. (you could
even include a patch showing, that you are able to make the
LibertyEiffel compiler emit different C code (with one warning less).

I hope this helps,
Rapha