[Liberty-eiffel] memory leak in short

From: Laurie Moye
Subject: [Liberty-eiffel] memory leak in short
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:22:30 +0100

Hi,

I don't want to start contributing to this list with gripes, so first can I say how much I appreciate all your effort to give us a usable GNU-Eiffel.

For use with Small/SmartEiffel, I had created a script which goes through all the source directories, runs 'short' on them and creates an index to the resulting html files. I ran this on the Adler release and it worked away, albeit slowly, and produced 45 html files, but when it gets to random/gen_rand.e it rapidly consumes my 4G of memory and starts filling the 20G of swap space with no apparent end.

Here are the details from when I just run short on that one file, and you can see where it gets to before it starts blowing up.

--
ceres/short: short -short -html2 /usr/local/share/liberty-adler/src/doc/random/gen_rand.e
<!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM>

^C
--

I tried this on the bleeding-edge git download (release 2014.dev (Alexander Graham Bell)), and it gives the same result.

Incidentally, should I be using this latest version for trying to get my old SmartEifel code to work, or is it safer to carry on using Adler?
Am I reporting this bug in the right place?

Best wishes,
             Laurie