Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Sizes of current executables...

From: Cyril ADRIAN
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Sizes of current executables...
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 13:13:53 +0200

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your analysis.

as to the much larger sizes of the current executables (true on Linux and Windows) I have done some digging and comparing with SE.

- I re-generated SE's germ, it produced only 65 C-files, totalling some 15.4 Mb. (not counting the header files here)
- The curernt LE germ contains 131 C-files, totalling some 39.2 Mb. (also not considering header files)

Wow, more than twice the size!

Assuming that both germs were generated with '-boost -no_gc' and hence start from equal grounds, what on earth has happened to the language in between the latest SE distribution and the current Liberty germ?  The code generating strategy has not changed, or has it?

This sizeable difference cannot be explained away with differences in the back-end compiler, as we're talking about C-files generated by the Eiffel system here....

The only actual thing I can think of is that indeed the back-end was totally rewritten. In SE times each class was responsible of its own generation, while in LE the generation classes have been extracted using visitors.

The strategy is the same, but it amounts to a few more classes. I don't think it should explain that much of a difference though :-(

Could you send me SmartEiffel's compile_to_c.id file please?

Cheers,

Cyril