[Liberty-eiffel] Random thoughts about a Windows distribution

From: Hans Zwakenberg | Ocean Consulting GmbH
Subject: [Liberty-eiffel] Random thoughts about a Windows distribution
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:32:06 +0200 (CEST)

Hi group,

as I'm slowly working towards creating a working Windows distribution, some random thoughts cropped up, that I'd like to discuss:

- Windows programmers generally aren't too keen about languages without any native GUI support, unless the language is meant for web- or script-programming
- Windows programmers generally sort of expect that a compiler comes with an IDE that shortens edit/compile/test-cycles

It's moot to start a discussion about whether such Win-progger sentiments are justified or not, it's just the dynamics of the Windows scene as I got to know it.

Since the team is very small, perhaps we should think about the availability of either of the above in a cross-platform way:
- are any of the x-platform GUI's wrapped to Eiffel already? (Perhaps wxWidgets or some other good library?)
- is there any x-platform editor (perhaps Java-based?) that can be used to attached scripts to configurable buttons?  ("comppile", "make", or whatever, etc...)

Any suggestion about the above is very welcome indeed!  Also any other idea about easing a newbie's entry into Eiffel - and how to reach him is welcome.  I suppose that last question is about marketing communications really, but you get my drift...

cheers
Hans