[Liberty-eiffel] Question: many warning messages when compiling the germ

From: Hans Zwakenberg | Ocean Consulting GmbH
Subject: [Liberty-eiffel] Question: many warning messages when compiling the germ with Pelles-C
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 14:11:19 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

when compiling the germ's 130+ files on Windows (using Pelles-C) I noticed that the compiler produces a lot of warnings about variables or structures that are never used by the application, especially so if you suppress none of the warnings the compiler is able to generate.

This baffled me, as I still remember one of the academic papers (I think it was written by Dominique at the time) that explained how SmartEiffel is doing global optimisation by building a tree of all life objects and methods.  I seem to recollect that the paper went as far as to claim that unused single variables in structs are optimised out as well.

Is any of this still on board with Liberty Eiffel?  If so, would generating a single C file instead of the 130+ reduce the number of such warning messages (and allow the C compiler to do better optimisations) ?

Just trying to get back into the game and trying to learn the differences between SmartEiffel and Liberty here...

cheers
Hans