Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Newbie questions

From: Joe Abbate
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Newbie questions
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 13:24:41 -0400

On 07/07/14 03:03, Cyril ADRIAN wrote:
> The main differences between ECMA / ISE and Liberty Eiffel are:
>
>   * The biggest sore point is agents conformance. Based on this
>     paper: http://www.jot.fm/issues/issue_2004_04/article7
>   * Non-conformant inheritance syntax: ISE uses inherit {NONE} while
>     Liberty Eiffel uses insert

That bit me already.  I'm not sure why ARGUMENTS is an expanded type.  I
have to read the Typing_policy to better inform myself.

>   * Newer keywords such as attached, detached, across though some or all
>     may be implemented later
>   * Conversion and the TYPE class, but I intend to implement that --
>     some day... (https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?12660)
>   * Liberty Eiffel's specific operators ?:= and ::= -- I don't know what
>     ISE's equivalents are (maybe based on some TYPE features and
>     conversion?)
>   * SCOOP is not supported

Ahh ... There goes my multi-user DBMS ... I guess it'll just have to be
single-user now <grin>.

>   * TUPLE with named attributes is not supported
>   * Different libraries
>   * Liberty Eiffel does not provide an IDE; but there is an emacs mode :-)

I'm using it already, although it's also not being maintained.

What is perhaps most confusing is the status vis-a-vis SmartEiffel.  I
know you guys converted its wiki, so there's still a lot of references
to it which presumably you haven't had time to clean up.  But the
original project's website still exists, even though it hasn't been
updated for seven years, but there's no clear "hey, we're not
maintaining this anymore".

Cheers,

Joe