Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Database access with Liberty

From: Raphael Mack
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Database access with Liberty
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 19:41:47 +0100

Hi,

Am Montag, den 27.01.2014, 09:33 +0100 schrieb Cyril ADRIAN:

> The problem is that Adler is out *with* this `&' operator in ANY. As
> we want to be better than SmartEiffel in that area, I'd rather not
> break the existing API.

I knew that this argument will come up. And I think it is a good one.
BUT I think we will not be able to do without incompatibilities if we
want improvement. I even think that we have a good example here. A new
prefix in ANY (and every normal feature name) is highly prone to break
compatibility. And as I do not expect that we currently have much users
in general and even less using the new operator, I think it is
acceptable to break compatibility in this case, after we discussed it
publicly - what we currently are doing. We may even think of a general
procedure how we want to introduce incompatibilities. Should we do some
public voting?
BTW in this case it is not a big deal anyhow, as it is fairly simple to
remove or add the prefix "&" alias in lazy_out...

About EDC in general:
it depends on ESE_TYPED_VISITOR and some other classes. Cyril, what do
you think about them? Shall we merge them? Rename them? Or generally
rework them?

Kind regards,
Rapha