Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Eurosymbol

From: Paolo Redaelli
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Eurosymbol
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 17:28:53 +0100

Il 02/11/2013 14:14, Jörg Baranczek ha scritto:
> Hi, i am new to this list. I am from Germany.
>
> I have a Problem with the Eurosymbol. I have a little Program for the
> Terminal (Linux). The Eurosymbol work with ISO 8859-15 but not with
> UTF-8. (euroumrechner).
>
> Sorry for my english. I have make the programm vor some years with
> Smarteiffel.
>
> Jörg B.

First of all thank you for your interest; you are warmly welcome.
How did you put the Euro symbol in your string?
i tried a naively written example (I also attack it in order to avoid
encoding reinterpretation of my email client):

lass EURO
creation make
feature
make is
do
("Naively using € sign in a UTF8 string %N").print_on(std_output)
(U"Euro € sign in a 'proper' unicode string%N").print_on(std_output)
(U"The EURO sign is %/Ux20AC/, obtained using the %%/Ux20AC/
notation.%N").print_on(std_output)
("Euro ¤ sign written in a terminal in ISO-8859-15
mode%N").print_on(std_output)
end
end

The output of this little example is correct - i.e. outputting a visible
Euro simbol - on Gnome-terminale, xterm, both using utf8. When I told
gnome-terminal to use ISO-8859-15 the euro sign become garbage, but it's
quite expected.
In the fourth line I get garbage all the times, both in UTF-8 and in
ISO8859-15.
It's useful to note that the text-only linux console (aka TERM=linux) I
haven't ever tried to get Utf8 working.
Which editor are you using?
Which encoding were used to save the files?
Again, thanks for the feedback,
Paolo