Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Marketing Liberty-Eiffel

From: Cyril ADRIAN
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Marketing Liberty-Eiffel
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 10:43:32 +0200

Hi all,

2013/9/15 Raphael Mack <address@hidden>
Am Sonntag, den 15.09.2013, 19:08 +0200 schrieb H. Zwakenberg | Ocean
Consulting GmbH:
>  - even if only a few of the old guard contemplate to 'perhaps' come
>  back, it might be a good idea learn in advance what made _them_ stop
>  using SE and under what conditions they would return to SE's successor.
>  It's irrelevant what _we_ think their reasons were, we need to learn how
>  _they_ feel about it.

More interesting than the core dev team would be the user base in my
eyes.

Yes. The core team lost its most important contributor (Dominique). I never really knew why but I believe it is because of his lab work.

Here I know from a few that the reasons are:
- the business decided to leave eiffel in favor of python
- new compiler version broke too much code
- the core dev team was too arrogant

The two latest reasons are linked. I am sure those are why the community was split after each release (and mostly at the 1.x→2.x transition), leaving use quite lonely when 2.3 came out.

That's why we must take pains not to break code anymore. For example, it is important for the wrappers generator too to stabilize its API generation. Once Adler is out, every code based on wrapped libraries will have to compile with subsequent releases.

Cheers,

Cyril ADRIAN (from office)

Get a signature like this. CLICK HERE.