Re: [Libcdio-devel] Miscellaneous questions, primarily on design

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Miscellaneous questions, primarily on design
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 17:58:04 +0100

Hi,

Samuel May wrote:
> "well, since I can issue SCSI commands through libcdio, can I misuse it
> to burn things as well?"

Yes, you can. And it would not be a misuse but rather programming
your own burn backend software. You'd need SCSI specs SPC, MMC, and
for loading or ejecting the tray SBC.
I wrote this guide through the specs:
  https://dev.lovelyhq.com/libburnia/libburn/raw/master/doc/cookbook.txt
CD audio with CD-TEXT is described in chapter "SAO CD Cookbook".

The SCSI passthrough facilities of the kernels are not standardized.
Each OS has its own ioctls or library calls for that. For hints see
OS specific source of libcdio, dvd+rw-tools, cdrtools, and libburn.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas