Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio 2.1.0 released and on ftp.gnu.org

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio 2.1.0 released and on ftp.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 15:46:49 -0400

Rocky Bernstein <address@hidden> writes:

>> Thanks to all for paying attention to portability.  The release builds
>> on NetBSD-8 under pkgsrc just fine, and I have just committed an update
>> to pkgsrc.
>
> Again this, is due to the careful work of both Edd and Thomas.

I saw that in your note, and I really did notice that from the messages
that I sort of skimmed and couldn't dig into.  Thanks Edd and Thomas!

>> I noticed that cdda-player is not build on NetBSD or OpenBSD, and it
>> seems clearly intentional (but I didn't see it in NEWS, so I'm only 99%
>> confident).  It was built in 2.0.0; perhaps it never did anything
>> useful.  This was somewhat non-obvious, so a AC_MESSAGE of "Disabling
>> cdda-player because it is not supported on NetBSD and OpenBSD" would be
>> perhaps helpful.
>
> Looking at configure.ac it looks to me like it should be built by defaulit,
> but wil not if the libncurses or libcurses is not found. See
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libcdio.git/tree/configure.ac#n654

ncurses is there and that wasn't it; I added "set -x" to trace things.

> And there should be a message when cdda-player is not built. It should
> happen near the code cited above here and should also appear at the end of
> configuration. See around line 756 of configure.ac
> <http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libcdio.git/tree/configure.ac#n756>

I did get the summary that it wasn't built.  The reason (sorry for not
being clear about it) was:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libcdio.git/tree/configure.ac#n511

which was silent (without "set -x").

I would not have noticed if packaging fresh, but it was built under
2.0.0.  It may well have been nonfunctional though.

> What cdda-player does is probably not useful to most people nowadays. Some
> CD-ROM players, especially the early ones had a headphone jack in the
> device that you could plug into from the outside. Other models had I think
> a some pins on the back separate from the power and data cables that you
> could attach a speaker to. With this, you could issue a command to start
> the CD-ROM to start playing as a standalone device and if you were plugged
> into the headphone jack in the front or had these speaker wires attached on
> the back you would hear an Audio CD played. No WAV data would be sent to
> the computer.

That indeed does not sound too useful :-)