[Libcdio-devel] OpenBSD vs libcdio vs Audacious

From: Edd Barrett
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] OpenBSD vs libcdio vs Audacious
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 16:18:18 +0000

Hi,

I've found some time to look into the audacious issues.

It turns out the situation with audacious isn't as bad as I first
thought. I thought it was erroneously starting the CD on a different
track each time, but this turned out to be the shuffle feature being
enabled! Doh!

Nonetheless, there are some errors being printed on the console. For
each error message in the driver, I've added printing __func__ so we can
see what causes it. I've also added a load of other debugging messages.

If I click services->play cd:
---8<---
Checking /dev/rcd0c for cdrom...
mmc_run_cmd
                CDROM sensed: TEAC     DW-224E-C        1.8B

mmc_get_dvd_struct_physical
mmc_get_dvd_struct_physical_private
about to do mmc command in mmc_get_dvd_struct_physical_private
run_scsi_cmd_netbsd: SCIOCCOMMAND cmd 0xad sts 3
finished mmc command in mmc_get_dvd_struct_physical_private
errored mmc command in mmc_get_dvd_struct_physical_private
        Setting read block size at 8 sectors (18816 bytes).
Verifying drive can read CDDA...
cdio_read_audio_sectors
        Expected command set reads OK.
ERROR cdaudio-ng.cc:502 [scan_cd]: Cannot set drive speed.
cdio_read_audio_sectors
read_audio_sectors_netbsd: SCIOCCOMMAND1 cmd 0xbe sts 0 lsn 0 nblocks 37
cdio_read_audio_sectors
cdio_read_audio_sectors
cdio_read_audio_sectors
cdio_read_audio_sectors
cdio_read_audio_sectors
cdio_read_audio_sectors
--->8---

And the CD is playing. Errors here:

 * Looks like the player might be checking if the disc is a DVD and we get an
   error. Might be OK?

 * Fetching the first sector of a track always makes an SCSI error. I can see
   this when I skip tracks too.

   CD is playing, then we skip track, wait a moment, and skip again:

        ---8<---
        cdio_read_audio_sectors
        cdio_read_audio_sectors
        read_audio_sectors_netbsd: SCIOCCOMMAND1 cmd 0xbe sts 0 lsn 13947
nblocks 37
        cdio_read_audio_sectors
        cdio_read_audio_sectors
        cdio_read_audio_sectors
        cdio_read_audio_sectors
        read_audio_sectors_netbsd: SCIOCCOMMAND1 cmd 0xbe sts 0 lsn 25812
nblocks 37
        cdio_read_audio_sectors
        cdio_read_audio_sectors
        --->8---

Another thing I notice is when I stop playback, the player seems to be checking
if the disc is a DVD once a second. Weird, but maybe OK.

---8<---
[...]

Other than these error messages, cd playback seems fine, even with CDs with
non-one start tracks.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think, if anything, about these error
messages. Maybe some of the SCSI details mean something to Thomas, for example?

Next I'll look at mpv (which has deeper issues I think).

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk