Re: [Libcdio-devel] Packaging libcdio 0.92 and libcdio-paranoia 10.2+0.9

From: Nicolas Boullis
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Packaging libcdio 0.92 and libcdio-paranoia 10.2+0.90+1 for Debian
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 00:18:26 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 11:23:11AM +0200, Robert Kausch wrote:

> >I mention this because this is why libcdio-paranoia and libcdio were split
> >in the first place: we couldn't mix GPL 3 or later with GPL 2 only or LGPL.
>
> Dug a bit deeper; the problem at that time was mixing GPL 3 or later
> with GPL 2 only. libcdio included cdparanoia 9.8 code which was
> released as GPL 2 only, so when libcdio changed to GPL 3 or later,
> there was a problem. The licenses are not compatible, so the split
> was necessary at that point.
>
> Later, libcdio-paranoia upgraded to cdparanoia 10.0 and then 10.2
> which changed the license to LGPL 2.1 only for the library and GPL 2
> or later for the tool. Both allow distributing derivative works
> under the GPL 3 or later, so there's no problem anymore.

That sounds like very good news!
To be honnest, I am somewhat bored by incompatibilities between free
software licences, so I am happy to read that things are getting simple
for libcdio-paranoia (although I think things would be simpler with
GPL2+ than with GPL3+).

On the other hand, some bad news for those who care: I missed the
deadline for library transitions for Debian Jessie. Hence, Debian Jessie
will be shipped with libcdio 0.83. Sorry for that.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas