Re: [Libcdio-devel] pycdio 0.18 missing symbols

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] pycdio 0.18 missing symbols
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 19:57:03 -0500

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Thomas Vander Stichele <
address@hidden> wrote:

> Huh.  On Fedora Rawhide (which carries pycdio 0.18) things are even
> worse than I expected:
>
> address@hidden ~]$ mach -r fde64 chroot
> Entering /var/lib/mach/roots/fedora-development-x86_64-core, type exit
> to leave.
> -bash-4.2# python
> Python 2.7.3 (default, Dec 11 2012, 20:49:32)
> [GCC 4.7.2 20121109 (Red Hat 4.7.2-9)] on linux2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/pycdio.py", line 411, in
> <module>
>     CDTEXT_ARRANGER = _pycdio.CDTEXT_ARRANGER
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'CDTEXT_ARRANGER'
> >>>

> Apparently it's now CDTEXT_FIELD_ARRANGER in _pycdio ?
>
> Any idea why things are like this?

My suggestion is to start *reading* libcdio-devel rather than merely using
as a public forum for griping.

One thread discussing this can be find at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libcdio-devel/2012-02/index.html

One of the biggest problems in moving forward is that when the work goes on
and requests are made for comments and feedback there little or none.
Likewise, when I ask for people to try things out in advance of a release
(once a year) generally people and packagers don't.

That's okay, but then when decisions are made and releases are cut, sorry
it's too late to change things. Either figure out how to use the old code
-- maybe you can petition in your endearing way that FC should have
compatibility libraries -- or fix your code to work with the new.