Re: [Libcdio-devel] RFC: Support for non-POSIX systems?

From: Pete Batard
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] RFC: Support for non-POSIX systems?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:16:07 +0000

On 2012.03.20 08:58, Leon Merten Lohse wrote:
Already having the code to point to different functions on different
platforms and having the routines for various OSes it would be a shame
to support only POSIX.
How can we call libcdio platform independent if we support only POSIX
systems and what is the point of this library?
If we support only POSIX we can get rid of a lot of abstraction that was
already done.

My point exactly.

I am a convinced Linux user but imho as long as the projects using
libcdio like VLC are released for other systems we should try to do so,
too. The demand is there.

That's also exactly how I see it. Treating MSVC as a minor platform that can be brushed aside will do nothing to help the libcdio project, on the contrary.

What we do need are people to test and maintain the releases for the
different systems. We can talk a lot about what to do or not to do but
without individual care it will not work out. Every release has to be
tested on every system we claim to support and should at least have all
the major features.

Indeed, and, time permitting, I have absolutely no issue being that guy for MinGW + MSVC (may even throw cygwin in).

I have been doing so for the past 2 years for libusb (except libusb doesn't release, so testing is limited to checking mainline on informal milestones), and unless MSVC support is removed from official libcdio, I am planning to stick around to perform just that task. Of course, the way I see it, MSVC tests will be limited to confirming that it builds, and runing ad-hoc checks for the couple of test MSVC project files that are available, as I'm definitely not planning to spend time making MSVC testing as comprehensive as other platforms.

This does not have to be the case with git. If a POSIX developer submits
a patch imho it would be wrong asking him to test it with MSVC.

This was my point.

It is as ridiculous to request non-POSIX people to check POSIX for every singe patch as it is to do the opposite. If they *want* to do it (and we can try to ask nicely to see if they can), great, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

I would
prefer to have somebody make sure MSVC works before a release rather
than testing every patch for MSVC compatibility.

Again, what I was trying to convey.

Unless one provides something like gerrit + Jenkins, with some form of MSVC support, it is unreasonable to expect that every single patch can be tested for all major platforms, or that any non-POSIX fix should also be tested on POSIX.

The pragmatic approach is to try to get the current repo tested on regular basis, as well as every single release, which can be done through a release candidate that platform sub-maintainers would greenlight.

We should encourage people to use the release tarballs. Most of the time
the git version had some more features but was not as stable and once it
became stable there was a release.
If the git version lacks some files MSVC needs, there should at least be
a guide for MSVC developers of how to generate them.

As long as MSVC support remains in mainline, I'm still planning to address that one way or another.

Regards,

/Pete