Re: [Libcdio-devel] buffer overflow/memory corruption in udf_readdir()

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] buffer overflow/memory corruption in udf_readdir()
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:29:06 +0100

Hi,

> I'd have to considerably ramp up my knowledge on those, as it is currently
> nil...

I have a note sheet with pointers into ECMA-167 and UDF-2.60 and lots of
question marks. (Plus a copy of the interesting stair shaped ASCII painting
at the beginning of libcdio's udf_fs.c)

If you happen to need a description of UDF, then we have a common
interest and should cooperate on collecting facts. (E.g. i only have
UDFs from mkisofs and from the Linux kernel. The specs leave enough
room for surprises in examples from other producers.)

> Have you had a look at what 7-zip source does (7z/CPP/7zip/Archive/Udf/)?

That would be a source of information for the description.
Google found me
https://bitbucket.org/gongminmin/klayge/src/606b64ac900a/External/7z/CPP/7zip/Archive/Udf
... ahum ... the stair painting seems to fit into UdfIn.cpp
enum EDescriptorType. (Riddling about libcdio "Root Dir File Entry" and
"File data", though.)

C++ is hard to decode for me. Well, if nothing else helps, one will have
to determine what this code does and how it relates to the specs.

First one should explore (exploit ?) the libcdio code, of course.
Linux kernel code and docs could be interesting too.

>From such a description it would be quite straightforward to fix problems
in libcdio or to implement own UDF software.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas