Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-Text patches

From: Leon Merten Lohse
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-Text patches
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 22:23:38 +0100

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 08:40:07PM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Nevertheless, we should try to find out whether this zero is only for
> the largest CD burner of the world, which is not an MMC machine,
> obviously (see doc 2 of the Sony specs.) At least MMC does not mention
> U-matic tapes as essential component of the writing process. :)))

The trailing zero is only part of the .cdt file format and should
probably removed before sent to the writer. (As it is the case with the
size header)

> > > Why is the number of the first track 2 and not 1 ?
> > > Did you cause this by input to the Sony tool ?
>
> > Yes. I did it on purpose.
>
> What would be a reason to state that the track 2 is the first one ?

Just think of a live album with two discs. Then disc 2 starts with track 12 so
it is in chronological order. Disc one could hold a single,
extraordinarily long track, so disc 2 would start with track 2....

> I see that there are three titles in frog.cdt.
> Will the reader attribute them to disc, track 2 and track 3 ?
> What will be shown for track 1 ?

Red Book Audio CDs don't necessarily start with track 1. They can start
with any track number between one and ninetynine. The fields in CD-TEXT
must be the same as in the discs TOC. So a starting number 2 is
legitimate.

> Ahum. Any idea what "100000000002" means ?

No. It's just my junk input. Sorry to confuse you.

> > > - Why does the copyright byte differ in both 0x8f groups ?
>
> > Because of my input. I wanted to test how independent the Blocks are.
>
> This seems to contradict the prescription that blocks group languages.
> How can a piece of music be copyrighted in german language and
> not copyrighted in english ?
> (Where to meet the Sony engineers for a drink and a sneaky interrogation ?)

Actually the Sony tool gave out a warning. Technically the Blocks are
independent, even if it does not make any sense, logically. Why would
the English genre code be different to the French one? But the spec
allows it.

> > > [type 0x87 in cdtext.cdt and frog.cdt]
> > CDRWIN or Sony: Which one is to trust?
>
> > What I don't understand is why there are not DISC_ID fields. I inputted
> > some garbage for them.
>
> Ain't DISC_ID pack type 0x86 ? Those with the "100000000002" ?
Right.

Regards
Leon