[Libcdio-devel] comments and questions

From: Robert William Fuller
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] comments and questions
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 02:59:25 -0500

Hi,

I really like the library. A couple of days ago, I wrote an application to generate cue files for disc images, such as nrg format, and cd devices. It works fine, except for one troublesome quirk in the library.

The quirk results in a serious usability problem with the library. As I'm sure you know, the library assumes a two second gap at the beginning of all audio tracks. Put simply, more often than not, this is an incorrect assumption. Hence, when you rip tracks with libcdio-paranoia, often times the beginning of the songs are clipped. It is especially a problem for DTS discs where it takes several frames for the player to pick up on the fact that it's reading a DTS disc.

Now I realize that cdparanoia does not currently detect gaps and that is the reason that an assumption is made. I also saw somewhere a suggestion for a GSoC project to add gap detection. However, in the interim, I would suggest that the library make a better assumption, that audio tracks do NOT start with a two second gap.

Meanwhile, I must generate my cue file from the nrg file with my application, which happens to surreptitiously remove the 2 second gap assumption, then rip tracks from the nrg file with another application, bchunk, which does NOT make a two second gap assumption. Does it not make sense to abandon the two second gap assumption?

Also, I have not seen any traffic on this list since I signed up, and I notice that aside from configuration code, little has changed in the CVS for many months. Is this project still active?

Thank you.

Regards,

Rob