Re: [Libcdio-devel] Backup mentors needed for libcdio and Google Summer

From: Burkhard Plaum
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Backup mentors needed for libcdio and Google Summer of Code 2006
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:46:32 +0200

Hi,

R. Bernstein wrote:
Hi -

Google Summer of Code is on. I will be suggesting libcdio projects. The current list of ideas is here:

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/libcdio/libcdio/doc/2006-summer-of-code.txt

> 7. Wide character support for CD-Text.
>    [Burkhard Plaum has might want to mentor this. If so he should
>    write a more detailed description than given above]

I would call it CD-Text charset support. The idea is to detect the character
set of CDText data and convert them to UTF-8 (or, alternatively to some user
defined charset, but I think just UTF-8 would be enough at least on modern
Linux systems).

This would involve:

- Detecting the character set of a particular CDtext entry. Documentation
  for this is hard to get, but the sources of some burning programs can help
  here.

- Write the string conversion using iconv (I have some working and stable code
  in gmerlin, I can donate for this).

- Test with as many CDs as possible (at least some western European languages,
  ideally also Japanese/Chinese/Arabic).

Would really great :)

Cheers

Burkhard