laptopkernel-devel

Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts

From: Stephan Skrodzki
Subject: Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts
Date: 29 May 2003 22:51:09 +0200

Am Don, 2003-05-29 um 11.21 schrieb Bernd Wurst:

> First of all, I think you partly missunderstood the ideas of this project. I
> made a patchset to have a kernel that works on my tm800. This was done with
> the help of Hanno.

Ok, I think I got it so far. Although I still think, that - Sebastian
Henschel explained it far better than I could - that it won't make life
for laptop users much better (easier), than that what you've started on
your web page.

> > -> More than providing a monolithic kernel patch, I would suggest to
> > make it more chooseable, which patch to load - or even the handcrafts
> > way - to work more on the "Which patch is good for what" Howto.
>
> Feel free to write such a how-to! :)

Of course, but without a cooperation there with you, this would end up
with a complete new project.

> I think as long as patches do not conflict with each other we do not need to
> provide individual patches.
> One can choose in menuconfig which one to use.

Yes and no. Normally I run 2.4.x Kernels and not 2.5.x because of a
trust I put in the work on those Kernels regarding stability and I only
use "wild" patches, where it is unavoidable, as e.g. the broadcom module
for my NIC. So although I have to use so patches, I'd like to keep my
kernel as much as possible to the actual vanilla codebase, which I get
very far away from, if I have also patches included for DELL Hotkeys,
IBM rubber mouse driver or whatever... That for I described my idea in
my first mail, which is the same, Sebastian mentiones. I think he or I
could be willing to write a piece of code to apply a bunch of patches
via configuration only. But I depends on you putting each patch
transparent in the project... if not, it would be just a complete
different project.

> > > If you need a mailinglist for tm800-issues, we can create one in our
> > > savannah-project.
> > I think it is worth thinking about that. Bernd, what do you mean?
>
> Personally I do not need one and I think it's not very useful. There are many
> laptops out there with very similar issues and some of the same brand often do
> not have same components.

so, we go on with tm800 related discussion here? Fine for me.

> > > To help out, I provided all the sources where the patches came from in
> > > the announcement.
> > Yes, but Bernd once announced on his website, that he had to modify the
> > swsup patch. Bernd is that true?
>
> Look above. This IS this modified version. But the modifications are kind of
> trivial. (I did not do it, Hanno did :) )

I did not get this. Where is the modified version to find except from
the complete patch?

> > > I don't know if any laptop does that. Mine also doesn't.
>
> On my TM800, acpi (with given patch) works out of the box!

address@hidden:~> cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          discharging
present rate:            0 mA
remaining capacity:      4128 mAh
present voltage:         9216 mV

Does that mean, you get something other here for the discharge rate than
0? This is what I get with the kernel patches from your website...
2.4.21-rc2-tm800

> I lately tried Knoppix and I saw that there was battery rate visible from
> /proc/apm!! :)

strange strange... I can't even get the apm module loaded on this box...
how do they do it? Perhaps it does work because Knoppix does not do
acpi?

Does Standby work for you?

Does DPMS in Xfreee work for you? I mean, does the backlight goes out
after some time?

> > > I think bernd has them working.
> > Looking forward to Bernds statement.
>
> No, I don't.
> There are those keys about "Web", "Mail" and so on. They do not work with all
> patches and tools I have seen.
> But the mail-LED worked with the "acertm"-Proc-Interface. We did not include

uh? a mail LED? Haven't even known, that the thingy has one...

> this one in our patchset because I seems to support just TM6x0-models and
> crashes many other acer-laptops. Perhaps someone could implement a better
> checking for the correct versions. I wrote to the author of that patch but did
> not get any answer. I plan to look at it by myself when I have some time left.
> :)

Thats it, the time... If I had more, I would work on so many things for
that, but to much hassle around.

Best wishes!
 Stephan