language-experts

Re: [language-experts] SSA like notation on a simple AST

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: [language-experts] SSA like notation on a simple AST
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:46:02 +0200

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade
<address@hidden> writes:

>   The SSA like notation should make it easy to picture what is being done, and
> make it easier to figure out if in a loop, if there is a jump, e.g. goto, etc.

You don't say much about what it is intended for (e.g., is performance
important?) or what kind of environment you use for implementation.
Anyway, some things you may want to have a look at:

1. Continuation passing style. I think this is similar to SSA-style, but
   looked at from a different angle.

2. I once used to compile a simple language into S K combinators. Surely
   not practical in all cases, but it has the advantage that there are
   no variables at all at run time, only function arguments being passed
   on to other functions. You need a small number of built in functions
   (the combinators, S, K, B, etc), and then the compiler converts any
   user defined function into a combosiion of those builtins.

Happy hacking,
/Niels