l4-hurd

Re: Filesystem mechanisms in the Hurd (on L4)

From: Paul Boddie
Subject: Re: Filesystem mechanisms in the Hurd (on L4)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 14:54:23 +0100

On Thursday 6. December 2018 00.14.32 Paul Boddie wrote:

> I guess that not much discussion takes place here any more, and maybe I
> should be posting to the normal Hurd development list instead, but I
> wondered to what extent filesystem abstractions were considered and
> developed for Hurd-on-L4 and how they compared (or were meant to compare)
> with the equivalent code in Hurd-on-Mach.

Well, I guess there wasn't much to discuss on this topic. Nevertheless, I have
written a few articles about it which might be interesting to someone:

"Filesystem Familiarisation"
https://blogs.fsfe.org/pboddie/?p=2407

"Using ext2 Filesystems with L4Re"
https://blogs.fsfe.org/pboddie/?p=2420

"Filesystem Abstractions for L4Re"
https://blogs.fsfe.org/pboddie/?p=2431

"Integrating libext2fs with a Filesystem Framework"
https://blogs.fsfe.org/pboddie/?p=2457

"Dataspaces and Paging in L4Re"
https://blogs.fsfe.org/pboddie/?p=2469

The earlier articles are more general, with the latest one actually dealing
with L4/L4Re specifics. Of course, my thinking about such matters is still
rather fluid, and I will need to look more closely at Hurd-on-Mach, but
perhaps it is interesting for some to see the mechanisms available in other
microkernel systems.

Paul