koha-zebra

Re: [Koha-zebra] Behind the Scenes Updating

From: Sebastian Hammer
Subject: Re: [Koha-zebra] Behind the Scenes Updating
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:09:14 -0500

Joshua Ferraro wrote:

Hi again,

Just wondering if the Index Data guys could clarify a bit what's
going on behind the scenes when Perl-ZOOM updates a Zebra database
using the new code. Based on my reading of the Zebra docs, it's
necessary to run 'zebraidx update' on the whole database every
time a change is made with file record IDs (which it looks like
we'll be using for Koha). I'm assuming that there's some internal
function call that the extended profile supports that goes beyond
the basic command-line functionality, making it possible to update
a small segment of the database ... am I correct?
Hi Joshua,

I don't think you should be using file record IDs when you update records using Z39.50. it's true that when you use file record IDs from the command line, one way of doing so is to run the zebraidx command on a whole directory, and it will compare the time stamp of each record against what it holds internally and update only those that have been changed..

However, when you are updating the database remotely, you are explicitly feeding Zebra with the records that need to be inserted or modified. File record ids don't work because no files are involved in the transaction.

--Sebastian

Cheers,

--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data