koha-zebra

Re: [Koha-zebra] ZOOM API [was Worries about zebra]

From: Sebastian Hammer
Subject: Re: [Koha-zebra] ZOOM API [was Worries about zebra]
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:06:44 -0400

Here's a description of how the API is manifested in PHP. It should provide an impression of the flavor.. the ZOOM-level api is conceptually similar.

  $opt = array();
$opt["action"] = $lESaction; // one of : specialUpdate ; recordInsert ; recordDelete
   $opt["record"] = $lXML;
   $opt["syntax"] = "xml";
   yaz_es($tgtHandle, "update", $opt);

   yaz_es($tgtHandle, "commit", array());

It ought to be manageable to extend the API to cover things like dropping a database. etc.., but really record insert/delete is the thing most often used -- and the one you'd like to see optimized the most.

> The big catch is that there is not presently a Perl-wrapper directly over
> the YAZ/ZOOM "C" language API.. I ran into a fellow at ALA who used it
> indirectly, by accessing the Visual Basic implementation directly through
> Perl, under Windows, but of course that would leave our Unix customers
> stranded.  :-)   At Index Data, we've developed most of our web-based
> applications in PHP so we haven't been strongly motivated to work on this
> yet... However, we do have a functional implementation of a Perl API over
> YAZ/ZOOM floating around the office which might be a good starting point.
How can we get our hands on that API? ;-).

I'm a wee bit hesitant to send code into the world that hasn't been packaged and documented for release. I suppose if funding became available, we'd like to clean it up and release it as a ZOOM/Perl implementation... if no funding were ever likely to manifest itself, we could consider handing it over to another programmer for packaging and release.

--Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data, www.indexdata.com
Direct phone: (603) 209-6853 Fax: (603) 357-1813