koha-win32

Re: [Koha-win32] Barcode Scanner

From: Rob Weir
Subject: Re: [Koha-win32] Barcode Scanner
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:59:36 -0400

Hi Robbie,
You can use a barcode scanner, but I'm not sure about doing it via the serial port. Most barcode scanners connect either to the PS/2 keyboard input via a y-adapter or to a usb port. By connecting to ps/2 or usb, the output of the barcode scanner appears to the computer to be coming from the keyboard and thus can be used to fill almost any text-based input field.

You can  do a batch import, but records will need to be in a standard MARC format. If your other software program can do an export in MARC format, you'll should be in good shape. However if it exports in some other format, like perhaps comma delimited, then you'll have some intermediate work to do to convert them to MARC before importing to Koha.

Rob

Robbie Wallis wrote:

I am just evaluating the possibilities of using Koha in a Windows environment. Will it allow the use of a bar code scanner attached via the serial port? Also will it allow a batch import of a catalogue from another software program?

Thanks

Robbie