klog-devel

[Klog-devel] Fwd: klog crashes if no cty.dat

From: Jaime Robles
Subject: [Klog-devel] Fwd: klog crashes if no cty.dat
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 08:23:15 +0100

Hello,

This is a grave bug... I am working on it but any help will be appreciated!

Jaime

Inicio del mensaje reenviado:

De: Kamal Mostafa <address@hidden>
Fecha: 6 de marzo de 2010 03:00:23 GMT+01:00
Para: Jaime Robles <address@hidden>
Asunto: klog crashes if no cty.dat

Hi Jaime-

I tried klog 0.5.3-1 today -- good news and bad news...

The good news is that the package builds just fine on Ubuntu Lucid.

The bad news is that klog 0.5.3-1 *and* 0.5.1-1 crash with SIGSEGV, if
the user does not supply the ~/.klog/cty.dat file.

Specifically:  Each time I start klog, I get the "Warning - Can't find
cty.dat" dialog, which suggests that its okay to "continue without that
data".  So I press OK (my only choice anyway).  Then the main window
pops up, and I type "EA4TV<Enter>" into the callsign field.  Klog
crashes with SIGSEGV.  The KDE crash handler shows a non-useful stack
trace (since no debug symbols).

If I *do* install a proper ~/.klog/cty.dat, then klog seems to work fine
-- I can log contacts, and save the log.

As a test, I also tried using just a zero-length cty.dat but that also
crashed the same way.

So... What do you think?  In my opinion, this is a pretty serious bug,
especially since casual testers (who don't know anything about cty.dat!)
will very likely experience it.  Would you like me to wait for you to
fix it before we try to push klog into Ubuntu Lucid?  Technically, since
the problem also happens in 0.5.1 this isn't a regression, but if you
*did* fix it for 0.5.3, then we could call it a "very important bug fix"
which might help to get it approved for Lucid.

Let me know what you'd like to do.

-Kamal