k-mib-ppc

Re: [K-mib-ppc] New iso pre9 - dual usb ibook

From: Yves Combe
Subject: Re: [K-mib-ppc] New iso pre9 - dual usb ibook
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:43:34 +0100

Hard Mac a écrit :
pre9 - Dual usb ibook test

Unfortunately on the iBook I get the same results as previous versions. After
startx the screen goes black, doesn't change at all and won't let me break out
at all.

OK, thanks. Can you give me the exact model name of the ibook, and the exact model name of the graphic card? (or month and year you buy it?)

you can maybe do "lspci" to get the name of the graphics card (look at VGA line),

Pass xserver=fbdev at boot could give you good result if this is the
cause of the problem.
I haven't had timeto try your suggestion yet.
Shall I try this with pre9 (or pre8) and see if I get any positive results?
forget pre8. pre9 is enough.

Could someone explain for linux newbie's exactly how do I "Pass xserver=fbdev at
boot"?
When you boot from cd the first messages explain that you can type gfive (if you have a G5) or generic (others model).

You just type:
generic xserver=fbdev

generic is the name for a prepared kernel with prepared parameters. The rest is the parameters you type at boot.
This is what we call pass a boot parameters.

Yves (and others) Thanks for all of your work on this project.
:-)
thanks for your help. Test and report is a great help for the project.

Happy new year,

--
Yves Combe
Formateur TICE