javaweb-submit

[Javaweb-submit] match souvenir

From: Mortimer Freeman
Subject: [Javaweb-submit] match souvenir
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 01:52:39 +0300

The library catalogue in the new discovery environment: some thoughts. The Flickr staging post puts the entry process closer to the user flow, as potential users may already be familiar with it, and it provides other relevent services. Mmegi Staffer, KETO SEGWAI, looks at events, situations and utterances that appear to give credence to this view.
A critical driver here is the benefit of consolidation, and discussion of what level of consolidation is useful.
Success will depend on incentives to search engines to participate. This is a very helpful piece of work which reviews a variety of approaches. The level of integration between these has been small.
The model we propose here could be adopted and deployed at other institutions capable of implementing a similar lightweight web services interface to their library catalog.
It has a strong family resemblance to YouTube, including the emphasis on ease of linking from and embedding in blogs and other sites. The fight against AIDS will utterly fail unless we address violence against women and children. The emphasis is on ease of use and reuse. The model we propose here could be adopted and deployed at other institutions capable of implementing a similar lightweight web services interface to their library catalog. As more of our working, learning and playing lives moves onto the network we need better workflow support. com more than they otherwise might.
Nice to work with a reporter who gets his facts and quotes right!
The service will act as a portal for the discovery of Australian people and organisations by clustering entries created by partner agencies, with links to related resources.
The service will act as a portal for the discovery of Australian people and organisations by clustering entries created by partner agencies, with links to related resources. I use 'syndication' to cover several ways of doing this.
When library patrons use Amazon's catalog to research what's in the library, they're creating flow through Amazon's site, and Bezos says he's all for that.
The emphasis is on ease of use and reuse. What is interesting here is that a national library is imaginatively developing real services which show how library services are complementary to, and can be enhanced by, crowdsourcing approaches. Mmegi Staffer, KETO SEGWAI, looks at events, situations and utterances that appear to give credence to this view.
I uploaded one presentation which worked very smoothly.
And once one moves in this direction, the question of scoping the collective resource in different ways emerges: moving from local to some larger grouping or back. I presume that the project will converge on a small number of terms so as to encourage participation and adoption by publishers and search engines alike.
In that context, the more we know about the characteristics of collections and how they compare becomes of more interest.
In the former case a machine interface is made available which can be consumed by other applications. This is done for purposes of searching, browsing, discovery, translation, mapping, semantic reasoning, subject indexing and classification, harvesting, alerting etc. And OCLC has been very active in this area with Open WorldCat, where member data is exposed to several search engines. Those other contexts might need to link back to the library system, which is becomes more of a location and availability service. But turn off the snapshots: not only were they excruciatingly slow, they ended up as empty PDFs.
I use 'syndication' to cover several ways of doing this.