javaweb-submit

Re: [Javaweb-submit] Submission of Java program

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Javaweb-submit] Submission of Java program
Date: 02 Nov 2002 20:41:52 +0000

"Henrik S. Hansen" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm working on a maze generation program in Java, and would like to
> submit it to GNU when it's finished (e.g. usable and conform to the GNU
> standards). It will be released under the GNU GPL. I have two questions:
>
> * Is this something you are interested in?

We are interested in all free software.

> * It relies on non-free libraries from the Sun API (Swing, possibly
> others), does this matter?

I'm affraid that you're on shaky legal ground. You're users could not
run your GPLed program against Sun's java platform because the GPL
prevents it.

There is currently no complete and free implementation of Swing
unfortunately. The GCJ project (http://gcc.gnu.org/java) has a
partial implementation. Maybe you should try coding your software
against that?

Nic Ferrier