javaweb-submit

Re: [Javaweb-submit] GNU Namespace

From: nferrier
Subject: Re: [Javaweb-submit] GNU Namespace
Date: 25 Oct 2002 10:41:21 +0100

"Franco Catrin L." <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I'm developing a little tool, I think it would be right to put it under
> the GNU namespace.

Unfortunately, we can't let you use the namespace unless your code is
GPLed or LGPLed (or under another one of the GNU licences, eg: the
Classpath licence).

If your code is not licenced under a GNU licence please do NOT use the
GNU namespace.

If your code is under a GNU licence please let me know the details and
I will add it to our list of java tools.

> My tool is a simple SQL client based on JDBC and SWT.
> (http://sqladmin.sf.net)

You might be interested in hosting your code on
savannah.gnu.org. This has certain advantages for GNU java hackers,
notably that sharing CVS files is possible.

We're thinking about building a giant package tree based on the GNU
namespace, but only savannah based projects would be able to take
part.

> Can you give me a namespace?
>
> I thought something like:
>
> gnu.tools.sqladmin
>
> or
>
> gnu.sql.sqladmin
>
> and so on.  But I prefer that you assign me one.

I would suggest either:

   gnu.tools.sql.sqladmin.PRODUCTNAME

or:

   gnu.sql.tools.PRODUCTNAME

where PRODUCTNAME might be: "simple" or "simplesqladmin".

Please let me know which you choose.

Nic