javaweb-submit

[Javaweb-submit] Re: A Java Installer under the GPL

From: Free Software Foundation
Subject: [Javaweb-submit] Re: A Java Installer under the GPL
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 20:34:40 -0400

[ I am very sorry for the late response to this message.  Since we have
  limited resources, messages to this address often get backlogged, and we
  are always struggling to catch-up. ]

Julien Ponge <address@hidden> wrote:

> What are the advantages in submitting my software for becoming GNU
> software as it is already covered by the GPL ?

Making a program into GNU software
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#GNUsoftware) means that you
have chosen to affiliate your program with the philosophy of GNU, and make
a commitment to get it working properly with other GNU software for the
GNU system (used popularly today as in its GNU/Linux variant).

As a benefit, you also get access to the GNU development systems, such as
http://savannah.gnu.org/.

To make your program into GNU software
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#GNUsoftware), you will
first need to agree to follow GNU policies.  I have included a brief
summary of the major policies with this message.  For a more detailed
description, please read the GNU Maintainers Guide
(http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_toc.html).

Let me know if you are interested.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Vice President
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942