javaweb-people

Re: [Javaweb-people] Re: gcj vs classpath merge status

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [Javaweb-people] Re: gcj vs classpath merge status
Date: 30 Jan 2002 18:31:26 -0700

Etienne> Isn't etags meant for this?

Nic> Yes but I don't use it. You have to constantly re-generate the tag
Nic> files.

Put a function on write-file-hooks that re-runs etags.  Voila!  (I
once suggested to the Emacs maintainers how the tags file format could
be extended so that this would happen automatically.  Nobody was
interested.)

Nic> I suggested indent because that's what GNU programmers naturally
Nic> expect to use.

If you update indent to handle Java, I'm in favor of us using it.
There might be some difficulties reformatting javadoc.

In gdb the coding style is defined by the output of `indent'.
If we can get indent to generate something similar to what we want,
then that seems like a good approach.  Then it is always ok to simply
run indent and check in the result.  It is also easy to tell people
submitting patches what they must do to reach conformance -- something
I'm sure it near to Nic's heart after his recent adventure in libgcj.

Tom