javaweb-people

[Javaweb-people] Re: gcj vs classpath merge status

From: Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: [Javaweb-people] Re: gcj vs classpath merge status
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:24:55 -0500

Nic Ferrier wrote:

In other words all brackets have a space in front of them except
method invocations.

This is very useful coz it means you can search for method
declerations by name quite easily.

Isn't etags meant for this? I dislike somewhat the assymmetry of your proposal.

However, since we are supposed to all code to a style it would be
useful if we all agreed on something.

It is simpler to have an automated tool; then you can (a) change idea, and (b) reindent all the code according to the new idea by simply changing a switch on the command line...

What I said a while ago was that if we all agreed on something then
I would happily update indent so that we can use it. It might take me
a while but I will do it (partly to learn about indent).

I think that indent is not the right approach, here. Java, unlike C/C++, has a clean syntax. So you can build a "real parser" for it, and thus have a **robust** indenter that handles **all** cases precisely. If I had time, I would write a robust indenter in Java using SableCC, but I do not have the time...

So perhaps we should have a discussion here, because this is where all
the GNU-Java people are supposed to be.

Here is the list of current subscribers to this list:

address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden

If you think anyone else should be on here, either subscribe them
directly or let me know and I'll do it.

Mr Tromey: should Bryce be on here?

Nic

--